Geraniaceae Group Forum
Sign in to follow this  
David Victor

Geraniaceae Group News

I'm sorry to have to advise you that Richard Clifton has been diagnosed with a serious cancer and is likely to be unavailable to work with the Group for some months.  Clearly, this is a major blow to the group, as Richard has been totally central to all that we do for some 33 years. 

In the meantime, we have agreed a number of changes to the ways in which we organise the work of the Group.  The seed distribution had already been transferred back to Bill Morris and, more recently, Allan Robinson has volunteered to be responsible for the organisation of the distribution.

I have agreed to take over as Treasurer immediately and, assuming things develop as indicated above, I will take over the roles as Editor and Publisher of the Newsletter from spring 2015.  To that end, members are invited to send contributions on species to me directly from now on and not to Richard.  In that way, I can prepare them for either Richard or myself depending on who is doing the job come springtime.  My full contact details are shown inside the cover of the newsletter.

Peter Starling remains as Membership Secretary, Marisa Amadio retains responsibility for the web site, Katya Koskaya for the web forum and Syd Reed as Meetings Secretary.

For the moment, we have closed the bookshop, until such time as we have a better view of what is likely to happen.  My aim would be to open it again by the spring.

I'm sure that you would all want to join with me in wishing Richard all our very best wishes for the time ahead and a full and rapid recovery.

David Victor

I would like to add my best wishes to Richard Clifton for a full and comfortable recovery. During my relatively short membership of the group, I have found his writings to be full of interest, and in the few cases that I have contacted him, he has been such a kind gentleman,

As an aside, David, I am unable to find your contact details in the current newsletter or any of the handful of older newsletters through which I have just paged. (I may just be blind.)

Love to all,

greig russell

Hi Katya and Greig,

Many thanks for your thoughts for Richard.  I'll be sure to pass them on the next time I see him.

And Greig, thanks for bringing this to my attention - I looked in the winter news, which is currently on its way to  you (and the details were there) without checking earlier ones (and they were not in those).  In any event, if you look on the Member information at the top of the forum you will find my email details under my name.

As Members will know from the last newsletter, I will be editing the newsletter in Richard's absence.  The next one will be the spring issue and I am starting to think about its contents.  While I intend to make some contributions to it, I am keen to get contributions from other Members.  So, if you can make a contribution, please do. 

Contributions will be welcomed on any area of the group's activity: growing, propagating, showing, Geranium, Pelargonium, Erodium, Sarcocaulon or Monsonia,.  The choice is yours.  All you need to do is to send your contribution to me and I will do the rest.  All of my contact details are on the inside cover of the winter edition of the newsletter.  If you would like to discuss a subject before putting pen to paper, then I am always willing to do so.

I look forward to hearing from you.