Geraniaceae Group Forum
Sign in to follow this  
David Victor

Fibrex nursery visit

The Geraniaceae Group has arranged a visit to Fibrex Nursery for Tuesday, 9th July, 2013 at 14:00.  Fibrex is the home of one of the National Collections of Pelargonium, as well as a very well established nursery.

The nursery is situated on Honeybourne Road, Pebworth, which is near Stratford-on-Avon.  Details of their location can be found on their web site http://www.fibrex.co.uk/

All are welcome to join us

Every couple of years, the Group organises a visit to the Fibrex nursery and 2013 was one of those years.  The visit took place on9th July, a week-day, so sadly many Members could not attend.  However, around a dozen did so and were entertained by members of the current generation of the Key family.  Amongst the attendees were two other Pelargonium National Collection holders, Syd Reed and myself, as well as Richard Clifton and Peter Starling.  It was extremely hot during out visit (around 30C) and, as a result, a number of Members spent tea-time hidden within the potting shed and were not available for a group photograph!

post-3-0-03430000-1374421910_thumb.jpg

The Fibrex nursery, which is based near to Stratford -upon-Avon of Shakespeare fame, holds one of the UK's National Collection's of Pelargonium.  This particular collection is based on a broad mix of hybrids and other cultivars, as well as species.  The collection is beautifully displayed in a large open, under cover, area.  There were so many beautiful and interesting plants on view that it is almost impossible to pick out a favourite.  However, their large, mature plant of Pelargonium spinosum, which is only very rarely seen in cultivation, was a sight to wonder at. 

Being a working nursery that bases much of its business on Pelargonium, there are large sales areas with a wide range of material available for sale.  While there I managed to purchase a few plants that I particularly wanted to add to my own collection:  These included a very nice white-flowered form of Pelargonium echinatum, originally collected near Springbok in the Northern Cape, as well as  P. magenteum, P. papilionaceum and P. elegans.

These included a very nice white-flowered form of Pelargonium echinatum, originally collected near Springbok in the Northern Cape, as well as  P. magenteum, P. papilionaceum and P. elegans.

David, 

Thank you very much for your answer. 

And congratulations with very good choice of pelargoniums!

I would love to say "yes", but I'm afraid that I was so busy talking to people that the only ones that I took were those at tea!   However, if you go to their web site, it carries quite a few photos of them and their plants.  The address is:

www.fibrex.co.uk/

Next time I will try to do better!

If you do ever get over here to get to their site, I would be happy to show you my collection.  Just let me know.